RSS

Under the Hill - A Women's Worth

I have a confession to make. I love reality television, the trashier the better, which is why I have been glued to VH1’s I Love New York. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the show, it features twenty men fighting for the heart of one loud, obnoxious woman named New York. Think a ghetto version of The Bachelor. Now, in one particular episode New York forces her men to provide a financial portfolio because she needs a man “who can bring home the bacon.” In fact, New York has a lot of needs in a man and it suddenly occurred to me that she really didn’t have anything to offer in return. Here is a woman who smokes like a chimney, screams like a banshee, shows her buttocks when she’s angry, and can’t keep her lips to herself. She’s nobody’s prize, yet she expects her man to be perfect. This got me thinking: Does a woman really think about her worth?

There is an old saying that when you pick a mate you need to be equally yoked. If you are successful, you need to find somebody else who is successful. If you’re a Christian you don’t want to marry an atheist. If you’re a High School drop out who lives on welfare well…you get the picture. So, why do so many women seem to think that they can expect so much when they offer so little? Let’s face it ladies when an unkempt, bus riding, unemployed male asks for the digits we’re insulted. Finding a man worthy of your time is hard, I know believe me I know, but when we start listing off the qualification that we want in a man maybe we need to count how many things on the list we have. I’m guilty of this too. My dream guy was always a doctor or a lawyer, yet I was perfectly happy with my B.A. and was struggling to find stable employment. It wasn’t until I took a hard look at myself and was honest about where I was in life that I knew I was being unreasonable. Now don’t get me wrong, all women should have standards, but if you’re going to set your standards high you need to be able to reach the bar yourself. Once I started to work for and achieve the things I wanted in a man, I realized that I had become the person I always wanted to be. I had become successful and accomplished and I didn’t need a man to get me there. Now, I’m a fantastic catch and any man who steps to me has to be doing at least as good as me or what’s the point, right? My man has to have a lot to offer because I have a lot to offer. It maybe asking a lot, but, hey, I’m worth it.


till next week…

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: